What is Low Self-Esteem?
Self-esteem is the opinion we have of ourselves. When we have healthy self-esteem, we tend to feel positive about ourselves and about life in general. When our self-esteem is low, we tend to see ourselves and our life in a more negative and critical way.
If you have low self-esteem you may feel:
- Like you hate or dislike yourself
- Worthless or not good enough
- Unable to make decisions or assert yourself
- Feel like no one likes you
- Blame yourself for things that aren't your fault
- Unable to recognise your strengths
- Undeserving of happiness
- Low in confidence
We all have times when we lack confidence and don’t feel good about ourselves, but when low self-esteem becomes a long-term problem, it can have a harmful effect on our mental health and our lives.